At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are
poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future. Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature
provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development.
Pact is recruiting a Civic Engagement Expert for an upcoming USAID-funded project in Ukraine that will strengthen local governance, deepen democracy, improve conditions for development of communities, and promote stability. The program will provide comprehensive
assistance to communities, primarily targeting local self-government bodies, and also involve local civil society and local businesses to work with local government to develop their communities.
The Civic Engagement Expert will serve as the project’s technical lead for interventions that promote improved citizen engagement and oversight in local governance. S/he will be responsible for technical leadership and technical supervision of project activities,
working closely with the Chief of Party, project team, other Pact governance programs, local and international partners. The position is contingent upon award.
• Provide technical inputs into project activities, including activity design, work planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation in coordination with the Chief of Party.
• Oversee day-to-day implementation of the project technical activities.
• Manage a team of technical experts to deliver high quality deliverables in a timely manner.
• Ensure that project activities reflect innovative and impact-driven practices and provide technical quality assurance through training, mentorship, technical support, and capacity building.
• Provide leadership and oversight for the project’s sub-awards to local, rayon- and oblast level civil society organizations.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with host country civil society organizations, government, and private sector stakeholders.
• Ensure that Pact provides cutting edge technical assistance and capacity development to local partners and project stakeholders; conduct regular monitoring and mentoring visits to local partners.
• Represent Pact at conferences, working groups, and meetings to support Pact’s thought leadership in local civil society programming in Ukraine and the region.
• Promote knowledge sharing and learning in project activities, and among staff and project stakeholders.
• Ensure compliance with donor, Pact, and project-specific policies.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• At least 10 years of experience in strengthening citizen participation at the local level.
• Successful track record in advising local governments and civil society on citizen engagement and participation, including methodologies for oversight of local government.
• Ability to establish strong working relationships with civil society, local government officials, civic leaders, media, business people and international donors.
• Master's degree in a relevant field, such as political science, public administration, public policy.
• Professional level English ability - both written and oral.
• Ukrainian and Russian communication skills.
• Prior experience with civil society and governance programs in Ukraine.
• Experience managing USAID contracts and cooperative agreements.