Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Effective Date: December 2015
Pact values and supports a diverse work environment.
Position Summary: The Finance and Administrative Officer is directly responsible to and supervised by the Senior Finance and Operations Officer, Pact Zambia. The Finance and Administrative Officer is mainly responsible for the day to day internal finance functions
of Pact Zambia.
Core Values: Pact employees embrace the following core values as representatives of the institution:
• all people have a right to participate in decisions affecting their lives
• gender equity is mandatory for social transformation
• resources are allocated in a transparent manner, guided by accountability to our clients and Pact’s role as steward of resources intended for the poor
• diversity in background, gender and age strengthen our capacity to be wise managers of public and private funds
• teamwork and collaboration shape our day-to-day working relationships
• innovation and risk taking to achieve impact and broad scalable results drive strategic priorities
• gathering and sharing information are primary roles for all employees
• staff growth and advancement are a priority, including training and professional skills building to increase knowledge and competence and to stay abreast of new developments, especially in technology
• a healthy balance between work and life outside of work must be maintained for work satisfaction and fulfillment
Key Performance Areas:
• Travel Advances
• Creditors & Debtors Maintenance
• Petty Cash Maintenance
• Fixed Asset Register Maintenance
• VAT Reconciliations
• Month-end Reporting
• Ensure that the PO (Purchase Orders) are matched to invoices and the billing detail verified;
• Ensure that creditor reconciliations are performed before payments are done;
• Prepare month end report, including cash reconciliations and cash request, and submit to Senior Finance and Operations Officer for approval;
• Assist in preparing for Pact’s annual audits.
Capturing of Monthly Transactions
• Ensure daily recording of transactions into the accounting software
• Ensure that all cheques and EFT requests in accounting software are uniquely numbered to facilitate future queries and audit trails;
• Ensure that the accounts codes are accurately captured in accounting software
• Ensure timely and accurate capture of all Purchase Orders in accounting software
• Ensure timely and accurate capturing of travel advances, liquidations and journal entries in the accounting software
• Ensure tracking of expats allowances against payments
• Prepare monthly payroll and monthly tax dues
• Reconcile the provident fund schedule and ensure that the premiums are paid
• Liaise with the fund’s Financial Advisor for retirement annuity and risk coverage of appointments / dismissals and submit withdrawal / enrolment forms to the provident fund
• Review the medical aid accounts and liaise with the medical aid fund for additions and deletions
• Run the tax year end and process tax certificates
• Ensure workmen’s compensation insurance is up to date
• Ensure that local and foreign travel advances and per diems, both, are paid in terms of Pact Zambia policies;
• Ensure that filing of travel advances, per diem calculations and travel reconciliation forms are reviewed;
• Ensure that all travel advances are timeously liquidated;
Creditors Maintenance on Barclays Bank System:
• Capture all approved creditor and staff payments onto the system for releasing by management;
• File all creditor EFT proof of payments
Petty Cash Maintenance:
• Prepare the monthly petty cash journal and submit to the Senior Finance and Operations Officer for approval and ensure close out on a monthly basis for inclusion in the monthly management report to Pact HQ;
Fixed Asset Register Maintenance:
• Maintain fixed asset register in the accounting software
• Ensure that bi-annual physical verification of assets is done
• Report any discrepancies immediately to the Senior Finance and Operations Officer
• Ensure that Insurance for all assets is renewed annually and on time making sure that all assets are covered
• Liaise with Pact HQ on annual updates of CRM database
• Perform functions with a view to safeguarding and developing the best interests of Pact Zambia
• Ensure the accuracy and completeness of financial transactions.
• Maintain a sound filing system
• Perform other reasonable duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field.
• 3 years of relevant experience in finance, accounting, operations.
• Sound knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP).
• Strong written and verbal English communication skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and complex accounting software systems.
Educational And Experience Required
• 3 years relevant working experience
• Key eye for details
• Deadline driven
• Good interpersonal skills