||VP, Public Affairs
||SIFMA is the voice of the U.S. securities industry. We represent the broker-dealers, banks and asset managers whose nearly 1 million employees provide access to the capital markets, raising over $2.5 trillion for businesses and municipalities in the U.S.,
serving clients with over $18.5 trillion in assets and managing more than $67 trillion in assets for individual and institutional clients including mutual funds and retirement plans. SIFMA, with offices in New York and Washington, D.C., is the U.S. regional
member of the Global Financial Markets Association (GFMA). For more information, visit http://www.sifma.org.
The Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) seeks a Washington, D.C.-based public affairs professional with a solid understanding of the financial markets. The Vice President will report to the Managing Director of Public Affairs and be
an integral part of the larger Communications team.
• Work with SIFMA senior executives, legal staff and research department to write press releases and pitch story ideas; as well as secure media opportunities to raise SIFMA’s profile in the press, through our websites and with vehicles such as the SIFMA SmartBrief;
• Assist in the development of messaging and strategic plans to communicate SIFMA's initiatives;
• Build relationships with top-tier financial services reporters as well as industry press;
• Maintain awareness of new reporters covering the industry, stories/trends being written about, and new strategies and outlooks for existing publications;
• Proactively seek media opportunities for SIFMA's key initiatives;
• Write or- assist in development of one-page fact sheets, speeches, op-eds and other collateral;
• Engage in regulatory and legislative public affairs activities;
• Serve as an information hub for reporters looking for information;
• Work with SIFMA's research department to support its reports with press releases and pitches to the media;
• Work in conjunction with SIFMA's conference team to secure media coverage of SIFMA events;
• Secure high-level media opportunities for SIFMA's President and CEO;
• Member Engagement on high priority issues: Coordinate meetings and messaging with Communications Council members; Liaise between SIFMA and member firms on key news stories and press opportunities;
• Lead and coordinate joint trades efforts in DC to share ideas and intel and to coordinate messaging and press outreach and response;
• Manage the SIFMA Foundation’s Capitol Hill Challenge media outreach; draft and provide media outreach materials (press releases, advisories, talking points) for Members of Congress to educate staff on CHC and encourage member visits to local participating
• Help develop and implement plans for sustaining and improving the SIFMA brand as well as the industry’s image.
• 5-8 years’ experience working in public relations, media relations, corporate affairs, or equivalent; government agency and Hill experience is a plus;
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university;
• Working knowledge of the issues impacting the financial services industry and the regulatory environment is essential; knowledge of the fixed-income and equity markets and asset management are a plus;
• Ability to consistently and effectively communicate SIFMA's messages on several topics through a variety of communications vehicles, including some social media;
• Experience with, as well as the maturity and responsibility to, work with executives, lawyers, and company decision makers;
• Outgoing, team-oriented personality with an ability to build relationships with SIFMA staff and members; capable of successfully working with a variety of people;
• Existing relationships and the ability to cultivate new ties with top-tier financial industry reporters at WSJ, FT, CNBC, Bloomberg, etc;
• Proven track record of top-tier media placements;
• Experience in planning events for the media;
• Self-starter; proactive; a 'get it done' type attitude;
• Experience in crisis communications, or examples of working on crisis-type projects;
• Great instincts; able to quickly and effectively weigh the pros and cons of any incoming or outgoing media opportunity, and immediately execute upon the appropriate strategy for each opportunity;
• Suite of writing skills, including op-eds, speeches, website content, conference scripts, etc is also desirable.
SIFMA offers salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package. Please send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com and indicate “VP, Public Affairs” in the subject line of your email. EOE.
||Send This Job to a Friend